Here are the 3 main causes why homes sustain bowed basement walls:
1) One of the most common causes is hydrostatic pressure caused by (negative pitch) soil slopes toward your home. During the winter months the ground freezes, the expanding water in the soil will press the soil against basement walls. In the spring and summer month’s soil will lose water and shrink. This freezing and thawing causes inward and outward movement on basement walls.
2) Tree roots are another common cause, tree roots can exert massive amounts of pressure against basement walls as their roots spread out in search of water.
3) Age of a home and the area in which your foundation is sitting (footer) can be inadequate for the weight of the home.
By the time you’ve begun to notice bowing or buckling in your basement walls, there’s a good chance that this situation has been present for a long time.
- Bowing walls occur most often due to the force of hydrostatic pressure. Hydrostatic pressure occurs by (negative pitch) soil slopes toward your home and water presses against the basement walls, causing the weight against the walls to exceed their capacity. Walls can also bow and fail when expansive clays or frost cause expansion of the soils to fatigue and damage the wall. During the winter months the ground freezes, and the expanding water in the soil will press the soil against basement walls. In the spring and summer month’s, soil will lose water and shrink. This freezing and thawing causes inward and outward movement on basement walls.
- Other common causes Include: Tree roots are another common cause, tree roots can exert massive amounts of pressure against basement walls as their roots spread out in search of water.
- Age of a home and the area in which your foundation is sitting (footer) can be inadequate for the weight of the home.
- Your foundation may be setting on soil that is not secure. The lack of secure soil (swamp land is one example) causes settling under the footer which can also cause a wall to crack and bow. Your basement may be placed in an area that has soil that moves.
- Heavy soils (like clay) are considered a shifting soil which exerts a lot of pressure on your basement walls.
- Sinking foundation or foundation movement is a serious issue that should be checked out by a foundation specialist as soon as possible. Signs of this are as follows:
- Uneven Doors and Windows
- Cracks in Brick Facing
- Chimney Cracking or Leaning
- Drywall Cracks
“By having wall repaired now, I wouldn’t have to worry later about water coming in the basement, Also, given advise of other things to watch for and to call if we ever had any more problems. Very nice to talk to, had lots of information about the services his company offered. Twenty year warranty on job done. Folder of services and information was very good. Good business man. Very prompt. Thank you very much.” Donna, Medina, NY
“Basement was wet and dirty – now clean and dry – ready to be used. Since we are selling the house, the warranty is very helpful” Steven, Penfield, NY
“Everything was done as promised. Crew was very nice – friendly. Completely satisfied. Thank you!” Glen, Lockport, NY
“The basement area will be very dry and you went the extra mile to protect the outside from predators getting in. I appreciate your completion of the job in such a timely manner. Everything looks great, neat and professional. Thank you.” Linda, Holley, NY
The future owner of Waters Basement Services? Our grandson Austin kept asking Bob (Papa) to take him to work in basements. Papa took him this past week. Check out 5-year-old Austin jack-hammering. He defiantly is going to be a waterproofer..
“I have gained a great dry, moisture free basement and looks good too.” Mary Batavia, NY
“The Bilco Door allows us to have an emergency exit in our basement. Thank you for fitting us into your schedule earlier than expected.” Scott, Lyndonville, NY
“Waters Basement Services give us a cost effective way to waterproof our “original” basement and make it look brighter and clean. Bob didn’t mince words on what needed to be done! The installation crew was very thoughtful and went “the extra mile” in service.” Wayne, Lockport, NY
“The basement is finally cleared out and you can breath without being afraid.” Bess, Macedon, NY
“I was impressed on the knowledge Bob had regarding the job he came to tackle for me. He did outstanding work, above and beyond, and should be very proud. Very courteous and professional and seems to love what he does – helping people. I highly recommend!” Dee, Lockport, NY
“Waters Basement Services did work that prep my home for sale. I’ll recommend Waters Basement Services.” Eugene, Hilton, NY
“The appearance of the basement/crawlspace is much improved. The drainage provided by the sump basin and pumps is excellent. We are very pleased that the “sewer/gray water” odor is no longer present. Thank you!” Narcy, Darien Center, NY
“I found your company trustworthy, you cane on time, and finished in a timely manner. I was pleased, and our basement is dry after a full day of rain. My husband found he found the staff courteous and well informed. I would recommend your company. Thank you for doing a nice job.” Ann, Lockport, NY